On Tuesday 24 August 2004 09:18 pm, lmcilwain wrote:
> Now for for the exit is that a separate script?
>
> If I want to do a /etc/init.d /vncserver start is that just
>
> > #!/bin/bash
> > /usr/bin/X11/vncserver -user -depth 16 -geometry 1280x1024 :1 &
>
> and for
>
> /etc/init.d/vncserver stop is that just
>
> > To exit,
> >
> > killall Xvnc

The #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/bash (either one works) goes in front of both commands
and each is a separate script.  The first starts, the second stops.  These
are not elegant, they don't remove lock files or even create lock files for
that matter so running stuff like multiple vncsessions will not work without
some tailoring.

> and both of these are just executable scripts that I place in the
> /etc/init.d directory?

No, the first script that I copied up to the newbie list is the one that goes
into the /etc/init.d directory.  The two entries above can sit wherever you
like them to sit and then you need to create pointers to them from
the /etc/init.d directory and add in stuff like which run levels you want to
start vncserver from.

The easiest way to create startup scripts from scratch is to use Webmin, go to
System, Booting and Startup section and create a new process.  It will have
windows for two commands, one to start and the second to stop.  Use the
commands above and they should work.  it will also create the chkconfig
settings and insure that the script will run at startup or not.

Just to make this as easy as I know how,  I am going to attach two files to
this message.  The first file is vncserver, simply cp that into
your /etc/init.d directory.  Next is vncservers, cp that to
your /etc/sysconfig/vncservers directory.  Please open them, read them, look
through them before copying them to your directory.  Assure yourself that I
am not doing anything nefarious in these scripts (they come almost directly
from the Mandrake RPM with the only change being the addition of startup
options for vnc).  But look at them first, then copy them into the
directories.

Next, edit the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file and change username to your user
name.  Save and exit the file.

Next, drop to CLI and su to root and issue these two commands:
chkconfig vncserver on
service vncserver start

Exit from root login and you should go back to your user prompt.  From there
type:

vncviewer :1

And you should get your desktop up in a window.  Shouldn't take more than 2
minutes tops and that is if you are a hunt and peck one finger typist.
--
Bryan Phinney

# The VNCSERVERS variable is a list of display:user pairs.
#
# Uncomment the line below to start a VNC server on  display  :1  as  my
# 'myusername' (adjust this to your own). You will also need  to  set  a
# VNC password; run 'man vncpasswd' to see how to do that.
#
# DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is untrusted. For a
# secure way of using VNC, see <URL:http://www.tightvnc.org>.

# VNCSERVERS="1:myusername"
VNCSERVERS="1:username"
VNCARGS="-geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 -alwaysshared "