PM wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 23:56, Johan Sch wrote:

Hi,

While rsyncing data to my second drive for backup it went into "forever" . the disk light stayed
on and the box "hanged". The only recourse was to press the reset switch.

So to be on the safe side I booted with the cdrom rescue system.

Fdsik -l . told me that disk hdg1 , hdg2, hdg3, hdg4 the extended partition did not
end on a cylinder. The rest from hdg5 up to hdg11 were OK.

Checking with partition magic 8. I was told there is errors and want to fix it.
I read sometime ago on one of the many lists I belong to not to fix this with PM. There is a linux utility that can fix linux partitions. This drive was partitioned with qtparted.

There was also mention that linux utilities exist to reset the mbr and other disk
repair operatins.

Kindly please may I have the names of these utilities.

Thanks

dd_rescue

*might* be what you're looking for.

Hi Johan,