-Hello All,

I am new to the group and new to Mandrake6.1.  I used Caldera
OpenLinux(COL)2.2 for the past 3 months before concluding, along with
the rest of the Linux support group here in Noosa, Australia, that there
was so much divergence occurring between Linux distributions that we
should get with the strength- RedHat -and concluded that Mandrake
offered the most potential within the RedHat family.

One of the real pains with Linux is printing.  I have an Epson Stylus
Color 600 which is allegedly supported by Linux, especially RedHat.  In
COL it took about 2 weeks to find a printfilter, download it and get it
to work.  When I saw Printtool and its direct support for my printer I
thought I had it made.   I used "print directly using lpr" to test all
three modes and got the message "test page printed to queue lp0".
I was even happier when alltests produced a perfect result.
Then I found I was unable to print from any file or application.

If I try to print a file using the printer icon or the file print
command I see: "printing:lpr '(file name)'&" but nothing happens.  If I
check status in /var/spool/lpd/lp0 I see "lp0 is ready and printing",
but it is not.

/etc/printcap looks like:

##PRINTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA a4 [} U_EpsonStylusColor stc600pl 1
lp0:\
        : sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        : mx#0:\
        : sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        : if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter

I haven't copied printfilter here but it says it's: New Smart Print
Filter.

/var/spool/lpd/lp0/postscript.cfg reads (initial text omitted):

GSDEVICE=uniprint
RESOLUTION=NAxNA
COLOR=stc600pl
PAPERSIZE=a4
EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS=""
REVERSE_ORDER=
PS_SENDEOF=NO

#
#following is related to printing multiple pages per output page
#
NUP=1
RTLFTMAR=18
TOPBOTMAR=18

(I have told printtool to send an EOF message)

/var/spool/lpd/lp0/general.cfg reads:

export DESIRED_TO=ps
export PAPERSIZE=a4
export PRINTER_TYPE=LOCAL
export ASCII_TO_PS=NO

/var/spool/lpd/lp0/textonly.cfg reads:
TEXTONLYOPTIONS=
CRLFTRANS=1
TEXT_SEND_EOF=YES

If I try to print from Netscape I use:

Print to Printer, and get:

Error message: Netscape sub process diagnostics
lpr:lp:unknown printer

(In Australia we use a4 paper;  I have manually inserted file texts in
abbreviated form.)

Sorry for this long post.  Does anyone know how to get my system to
print?  I hope someone does.  Why should it be so difficult?  Linux will
never fly if, as in my case, essential tasks can only be done in
Windows.

Thanks in advance.
-
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566 AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mobile: 0419 535539  Fax: Phone first.