On Wednesday 08 September 2004 08:31 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 07:50 am, Tango Echo wrote:
> > For some reason, I get a black screen on shutdown or
> > console terminals (Ctrl+Alt+F1...) now that I've
> > installed Mandrake 10 OE.  It's almost like it goes
> > into sleep mode becuase the monitor's powerlight goes
> > to amber.  The motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-X.  The
> > video is nVidia GFX 5600 FX.  Although my drivers have
> > been updated to the latest (and less impressive)
> > drivers, I had this problem long before the update.
> > Any ideas?
>
> The symptoms weren't exactly the same, but my 13 yr olds Soyo MB did
> something like it - when the monitor kicked into standby after not being
> used for awhile nothing would bring it back. I turned everything DPMS
> (power management for the monitor) off in BIOS and made sure the refs to it
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 were commented out.
>
> That worked here, not sure if its your problem or not.

Had a similar problem with mine.  Following advice on the Nvidia forums, I
moved the monitor connection from the analog VGA connector on the video card
to the digital flat panel connector using the supplied adaptor.  I have a
Geforce4 Ti 4600.  Others reported similar problems getting the nvidia card
to auto detect the connected display.  You can supposedly specify the
connector in the xorg.conf file but I found it easier to just use the adaptor
since Nvidia cards default to using the flat panel connector.

That fixed the problem for me without disabling power management.

--
Bryan Phinney