On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:40:19 -0400, BJ Tracy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 04:18 pm, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> SNIP
> > What does the following give you:
> >
> > 1)
> > cat /etc/hosts.allow
> > cat /etc/hosts.deny
> SNIP
>  hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]$ cat hosts.deny
> #
> # hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> #
> # The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
> # the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
> # you should know that NFS uses portmap!
> > 2)
> > Then look in "/var/log/samba2/"  You'll probably need to be superuser.
> >  With some luck, you'll have files there with the name of your other
> > PCs.  Check the ends of these files for obvious error messages.  If
> > nothing jumps out as bad, continue on.
> SNIP
> No samba2 file just samba.
>
> Samba name server LOCALHOST is now a local master browser for workgroup
> MDKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.102
>
> I don't know where this came from "msdter browser"  and I did not set up the
> MDKGROUP.  However that is what MS-02 sees when it looks at the network.
>
> I feel this is WAY over my head.  I cannot look at the other files the command
> cat log.198.168.1.103 doesn't do anything.
> > Back down a level to "/var/log/"  Find the IP address and names of
> > your other computers.  Try the following:
> SNIP
> Cannot get the next thing you asked about using grep to do anything except
> freeze up.
> Thanks for your help,
> BJ
>

> > grep "192.168.0.XXX" *            <--- Insert the address here, you'll
> > get a lot probably, look for something along the lines of connection
> > refused or rejected.
> > grep "MS-01" *          <---- Ditto for real names here
> >
> > 3)
> > If you don't see anything obvious, holler back cause aside from that,
> > it's time to delve into your smb.conf  (probably in
> > /etc/samba2/smb.conf)

Ok, simple hope it works solution: Tell your WinXP box to join the
workgroup MDKGROUP.

Better solution:
I'm thinking you may be greatly served by a software package called
'Webmin' which is available through urpmi (rpmdrake/Mandrake Software
Center).  I remember it as being a pretty easy way to configure your
samba server.  drakwizard has a wizard for samba, no clue on how good
it is.

If you want to learn solution:
Open /etc/samba/smb.conf in your favorite editor

find the line:

workgroup = MDKGROUP

change it to match whatever the winxp one has or whatever it is you
actually want it to be, and
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

  In Win98, go to (from memory, so improvise until you find it)
Network Settings -> Identification tap  and find the workgroup name
and change them to match the winxp settings.

The thing about samba is it SEEMS much harder to configure than it is.
 For just sharing files on your home network, you can ignore 90% of
the options.

Some other settings you probably want in your smb.conf

  map to guest = bad user
  security = user