On Friday 10 September 2004 22:32, BJ Tracy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> If a newbie to Mandrake Linux wants to look for software for linux, what is
> the best way?  Google?
>
> Thanks,
> bj

You can search for Linux projects at
http://freshmeat.net/  and http://sourceforge.net/
and Google has a dedicated Linux search at www.google.com/linux

Sourceforge and Freshmeat are great for researching what software exists, but
then I would recommend looking for that software as a Mandrake RPM before
resorting to compiling your own.

For a newbie installing applications from source is a lot harder than
installing a Mandrake specific RPM which you will find in various online
sources.

If you declare an online source as a 'urpmi' source you can install the
software using your Software Install GUI and all required dependencies will
be automatically sorted out for you.

Go here http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php  for instructions on adding the
'contrib' and 'plf' sources which are 'must haves'

Also great places to check out are
http://www.eslrahc.com/
http://norlug.org/~chipster/index.pxml?rpms

Also try to avoid non Mandrake specific RPMs. They may work, but then again
they may not.

Read the Twiki (follow my sig)  for information on urpmi and software sources.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org