I've been having a strange problem with my Mdk 10.0 Official install since
last Friday. Often when it sits for a while, it goes to a dark red screen,
with no text or graphics, and no mouse pointer. Also, sometimes when someone
is using it, it freezes. At these times, it won't respond to
won't respond to pings from another pc on the lan. It will sometimes respond
reboots it's back to normal, until the next time.

Before Friday, it was stable. On Friday, I was:

1. Trying to update my system, but the mirror (mirrors.secsup.org) kept
telling everything was up to date, despite numerous security list
announcements. I didn't resolve this until Monday, by switching mirrors.

2. Uploading some pics from my digital camera (Minolta Dimage G400) to my hard
drive, something I've done before with no problems. But when I unplugged the
usb cable, with konqueror still open (but not open to the mounted directory),
it hung my system and forced a reset. After rebooting, it restarted konqueror
on me without my asking it to (I guess I had "restore previous session" set).

3. I installed checkinstall, and was trying to use it to build an rpm (for
qhacc). Which failed on some error I hadn't yet figured out.

Something during all this seems to have borked my system. Any suggestions,
short of a full re-install?

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine. Rights to use
these opinions are granted under the GNU GPL.