Victor Henderson wrote:

> I've recently tried to install 6.1 on my HP 6357 and everything worked out
> except one minor
> detail,  there were no fonts.  On tbe desktop some of the icons showed up
> as a black shadow,
> others were fine, but not one letter showed up.  I've had this type of
> problem with windows
> also where the fonts would be represented as square boxes, or not show up
> at all.  I've
> completely erased and reformatted/partitioned my hard drive numorous times
> and tried every
> resolution type.  When the graphics test screen came up during
> installation, there was a gray
> confirmation box that I hit "enter" even though it was not readable.  My
> system has the Sis 5598
> chipset with 64MB shared memory.  Any help with this would be highly
> appreciated, otherwise I'll
> be forced to give the thing a drop-kick out the door.
> Thanks
> Vic

Someone at SiS must be laughing their ass off at the hell that they've
caused computer users with their graphics chips.  Personally, I'm not
laughing.

I believe there was a suggestion earlier today to try using the
'noaccel' option in the XF86Config file.

Check the archives if you need further information...  Personally, I'd
probably ditch the SiS chip and get a nice card.
--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator