On Sunday 19 September 2004 10:13 am, eric jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:13:13 -0400, Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 September 2004 08:01 am, eric jackson wrote:
> >> I just got up a few minutes ago at about 7 AM. It was 54% complete but
> >> it
> >> is still saying 34 hours remaining.
> >
> > Are you sure you have the right ports open.  Slow downloads are usually
>
> I'm pretty sure I have the right ports open. I'll check. Recently several
> people posted saying they had the right ports open but the downloads were
> extremely slow.

I did see some reports that there was some kind of a problem with the Mandrake
tracker the other day that was slowing everything down.  I know no other
details about it though.  My own experience was that CD 1-3 was very slow,
while 4 and 5 came in really fast.

> > Yes.  This is one of the huge advatages to BT.  If you retain the same IP
> > address, just restart the torrent.  If you get a new one, you'll need to
> > download a new torrent from club, but it should still resume from where
> > it
> > left off.
>
> I think I'll try again using one of my other computers so that if it takes
> forever again I won't tie my laptop.

Don't forget to change the port forwarding of your NAT device to the other
computer.

> >> I know Mandrake claims that using bittorrent is a benefit of membership
> >> but my experiences using bittorrent doesn't make me feel like I'm
> >> getting
> >> any benefit. In the past I have downloaded files using this method and
> >> it
> >> took days to download only to find out the CDs were corrupt. I just
> >> refused to download 10.1 using bit torrent because of the speeds I got
> >> when I tried but I figured I'd try again with this new release. I have a
> >> broadband connection and I can normally download an iso in about 45
> >> minutes. So when I use one of my Mandrake Club benefits and it tells me
> >> it's going to take days to download what I want, I really don't see that
> >> as a benefit. I told my wife I thought it was punishment.
> >
> > It may take longer to download, but you're still getting it a month
> > earlier
> > than when the ftp downloads are available.  I've never really understood
> > the
> > logic of people that want the new isos, but will wait a month to download
> > them in two hours rather than download them over a day or two with BT and
> > have them 28 days before everyone else.  I guess it is just a by-product
> > of
> > our instant gratification society.
>
> Well I was wiling to wait a day or two but it's been downloading since
> Friday afternoon and it still has 30 hours to go. Having a broadband
> onnection I just find it frustrating to get speeds that are slow even by
> dial-up standards.
>
> Unless some one really needs the isos immediately I can certainly
> understand not wanting to download something that is going to take
> forever. Maybe I'm spoiled because I have a broadband connection. As I
> mentioned I can download an iso normally in about 45 minutes. The
> advantage bittorrent offers is that I can get it a month earlier if I'm
> willing to spend several days downloading. I didn't get a broadband
> account so that I can take forever to download a file.

I guess I can understand that, but in my case, my computer is on all the time,
my cable modem is always on, so leaving the download going for awhile and
forgetting about it is not a problem.  For those that like to turn their
computers off, or don't have an *always on* internet connection, I realize
that this is not optimal.

It just kind of defies logic to be mad you can't get something fast when you
are getting it faster than the alternative.  Just a pet peave of mine.

> As I mentioned, I think I'll try it on one of my other computers first. If
> that is just as slow then I'll try to resume the download I'm doing now.

I hope you get it going to your satisfaction.
--
/g