I've succeeded in writing my first dvd, not problems all went well.

I used k3b.

I've been thinking about the way some people report write errors off to media.

Could it be a device buffer/HD problem.

I know you can increase the HD buffer.

I thought I would just test how the write is effected with a heavy interrupt.

This is what I found in TOP,
mkisofs 2.7% , growisofs 1.1% , k3b 0.1% for cpu usage
k3b 4.6% memory

Now that isn't much cpu usage, so no query there, but as soon as you launch some big app, I chose Mozilla, all those cpu figues drop dramatically,for a short while, before leveling out back where they were.

That means every time you launch of an app it causes data flow to be slowed up initially. I'm guessing that that may cause problems, especially if you consider that with so little device buffer memory and a constant stream of data needed to keep up with the data write it may cause problems with buffer underruns. If this is correct then the answer would be to have a decent sized buffer of data stored on the harddrive, or not to launch apps during a write. In otherwards don't cause an hefty interrupts demand to cause a slow down in cpu output.

My dvd write took 13 minutes to write 4gigs to disk which equals about 5Mb/sec
Modern drives seem to have only 2MB of buffer.
So it seems to be all down to the HD to store a pool of data and try to even out the flow.

Anyhow I decided to increase k3b's buffer to 8MB from 2MB, I see no harm in doing that.

John