On Saturday 25 Sep 2004 4:55 pm, Erylon Hines wrote:
> On Saturday 25 September 2004 07:33 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> | But for all the *newbies* here reading this, statically wounded
> | circuits can show weird symptoms months after installation.
> | Sometimes weird stuff like what Ron is seeing.  That includes
> | (especially) motherboards.  It's best to have a grounded static
> | wrist band on when you are inside your computer and before you
> | remove the static packaging from any new component.  (static
> | packaging isn't there because it's pretty.)  If you always do this,
> | you can be sure that you've kept your equipment in mint condition.
> |
> | LX
>
> A note on grounding.  Most times when I see instructions for this it
> says something like, "Unplug your computer".
>
> DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER.  If you do, you will remove the machine
> from the system ground and your box will be "floating".  Any time
> equipment is floating, there is a chance that it's potential will be
> different from ground potential.  Turn it off, but leave it plugged
> in and the case will be bonded. If you are not on a workbench with a
> known good bond to ground, attach yourself to the metal part of the
> case, and you are good to go.

I think "Which" was told off and had to publish a retraction not so long
ago for publicly giving that bit of advice.

Some things to bear in mind:
1. If there's an earth fault the live wire is connected to you.
2. The switch is in the live wire. If, like I did, you have an extension
cable with the live and neutral swapped, then the live parts are still
live. It may still be a problem with a properly wired connection if
your neutral is at a different potential to your earth. OK, not such a
problem with a PC because the PSU is enclosed.
3. Anti-static straps have 1MegOhm resistors in them. Without such they
are considered serious health and safety violations. Since every piece
of anti-static equipment has that, the actual resistance to earth of
professional gear is usually several meg ohms.

Personally, If I have my wrist strap with me I leave the box plugged in
and use it. If I don't then I still leave it plugged in, but just touch
the case frequently to keep myself at the same potential. I think very
long and hard before I decide to connect myself to the case with a
piece of wire.

Another word of warning: some PSUs do not have an off switch. The button
on the front of an ATX case leaves power to some parts of the
motherboard. If there isn't a rocker switch on the PSU, you can not
leave it plugged in without having an external switch somewhere.

--
Richard Urwin