On Monday 11 October 2004 03:18 pm, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

| Well, after I did it as you have suggested, Mandrake Control Center 9.1
| has shown in Detected Hardware, a new group of Unknown/Others, and Sony
| HandyCam MemoryStick Reader within that group.
|
| Details are:
|
| Vendor: Sony Corp.
| Bus: USB
| Module: Removable:memory_card
| Media class:
|
| What should be done next? I manually made /mnt/memory_card folder but
| don't know how to mount camera's memory card reader.
|
| Btw, my desktop's icon for USB flash memory (/mnt/removable, /dev/sda4)
| has got lost somewhere, although I suppose it should remain there too.
| In fact, as soon as I connected the camera to the USB connector and
| rebooted the system, the icon disappeared. After changing the camera
| with the USB flash stick, and rebooted again, the icon came back.
|
| Regards,
|
| Misko

I can't say for sure, since I'm uncertain that the Sony is actually
"supported".  One of my machines (I have several) that mounts my Olympus
digital has an /etc/fstab line:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/camera auto user,
iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

My other machines have variations of this (/dev/sdb1 /mnt/memory_card) and all
seem to mount the camera automatically--but then, the Olympus uses standard
USB protocol, so it is known to "just work".  Before I got it, I checked some
other cameras (not Sony, unfortunately), and some strayed from the USB
standard, so mounting them was iffy.
My 9.2 machines seem to do a better job with mounting the digital than
9.1--I'm never sure under what device it will be mounted when I plug it into
9.1, but it is always in the same place on the 9.2 boxes.  Kind of weird.
My last suggestion, if all else fails, is to get hold of a Knoppix 3.4 disk
and see if you can mount it that way.  My experience with Knoppix has been
that it is amazingly good at identifying hardware, and if Linux can use it,
Knoppix will be able to configure it.