On Saturday 16 October 2004 10:08 am, Boyi Zeng wrote:
> Hello,
>       Yesterday I tried to install mandrake linux 10.1 to my notebook.
> The installation process is smooth. But I got problem at the startup
> after installation. The error message is like that:
> checking root partition:
> fsck.ext3: unable to resolve 'LABEL=/'
> I had windows XP in my notebook before. Now I used Grub to boot both
> systems. The configuration of grub is default, and there is no such
> string as 'LABEL=/'.  Is there any one know what the problem is?
>       Thank you

Hi Boyi... You're saying that the grub configuraion file (menu.lst) has no
reference to 'LABEL=/'? How about /etc/fstab?

Typically, the root directory is mounted in read only mode first, then
remounted in read/write mode. If it's trying to reference a label in fstab
that isn't actually on the partition, it would certainly cause this problem.
First, check your fstab file for something such as:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

If that shows, then it means it's trying to reference the boot partition by
the label. You might have to figure out which partition is actually the boot
partition, and then you could either:

A) Change the line in fstab to read:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1 (just for example)

B) Set the label on the partition:

# e2label /dev/hda5 /

or

# tune2fs -L "/" /dev/hda5

To see if the label was actually set (or what it currently is set to), enter:

# e2label /dev/hda5 (or whatever you believe your root partition is)

My default installation of Mandrake 10.0 Official made use of the /dev path
instead of the label (which I would assume is much safer). I am not sure why
yours went sour like that, but maybe you'll be able to fix it wihout
reinstalling Mandrake...

--
Take care,
Randall Hobbs