I can't seem to get my sound to work on my old computer. I did a fresh install of Mandrake 10.1 community, but the sound doesn't work. I had this same problem under Debian 3.1 on this same computer. The chip is just an onboard Creative PCI128 and uses the kernel module es1371. I was trying to play a DVD and didn't have any sound. The Mandrake hardware control center detects my sound card right, but trying to run kmix fails because it can't find alsa, and the Gnome volume control doesn't have any channels to adjust either! Alsa is installed & configured to run in Init 3-5, so I don't know what the problem is there.

I did a simple 'modprobe es1371' command from a root shell and the sound works fine now. I don't want to have to manually load the kernel sound module everytime I startup, so how do I fix the sound settings?

Also, both Xine and Totem will not read my DVDs. Xine plays the first intro track (MGM Studio scene etc...) and then says the video is encrypted, and totem won't even play. MPlayer plays the DVD fine (with sound after the modprobe command), but I can't find an RPM for the gui version and I don't have time right now to compile the sourcecode. Where can I find the Xine DVD plugins and the gmplayer rpm packages? The urpmi says they can't be located.