John Layt wrote:

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 00:05, Marc wrote:

 I have a friend that is shopping for a new laptop.  Quality and being 100
ML compatible are both very important.  as is wireless networking.
 Can anyone here make some suggestions as to a brand or model number.

Thanks
Marc

I have a Dell Inpiron i8600, and it works well, almost all the features now supported out of the 10.1 box or with a little tweaking. IBM is obviously another well suported brand, and HP has actually started selling a linux laptop.

A couple of excellent on-line resources with lots of reviews and configuration hints are:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
http://tuxmobil.org/

As for wireless, there's the chipsets for which we have real drivers, then there's Intel's Centrino chips and Broadcom's chips which are very common and for which you would need to use NDISWrapper from http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ .

Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

John.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 and it is 99% functional. only thing I couldn't get running was the dialup modem.
The wireless is broadcom, so the same ndiswrapper is needed to get that working..
Nvidia driver for 3d video and the sound needed some tinkering, but then worked fine.

rgds

Franki