Howdy all--been a while.

I bought a NEC 5-port USB 2.0 PCI controller so I can use my
external drives. (Well, I could use them before, but at USB 1
speeds, why would you want to?) MDK 10.0 can see it and
apparently is running the correct drivers for it:

  $ lspci
  00:0f.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
  00:0f.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
  00:0f.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

  $ lspcidrake
  usb-ohci  : NEC|USB [SERIAL_USB]
  usb-ohci  : NEC|USB [SERIAL_USB]
  ehci-hcd  : NEC Corporation|PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller [SERIAL_USB]

but when I plug my external harddrive into it, the harddrive does
not show up. At least nowhere I can find it. The hardware itself
is fine as the set-up works fine in Winblows. Any ideas?

Regards,
Miark