On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:21, aron Smith wrote:
> OKie Dokie I finaly got both my boxes talking to the internet
> Now for my next learning experience I would like to use the printer on the
> first box to print from the second box
> (Thru a D-Link 604 router)
> Any one have a How-to on this ?
> TIA
> smitty

There's 2 options:

If both boxes are Mandrake/Linux/Unix, then CUPS can share the printer for
you.  I'll explain how to do this through MCC, but you can also do it through
Webmin or any other CUPS configuration tool (and may be easier and more
reliable than PrinterDrake).  In fact, I suspect it actually comes configured
out-of-the box.

If one box is Windows, then you need to use Samba.  I'll leave it up to others
to explain that one.

Assuming both are Mandrake boxes, on the box with the printer attached and
already installed, go into the Mandrake Control Centre (MCC), go to Hardware,
and then Printers.  When the Printer tool comes up, go to the Options menu
and select Expert Mode.  Then click on the Configure CUPS button.  Make sure
you have the first two boxes ticked to make printers available to other
computers, and to automatically find remote printers.  Now click on the
button for "Printer Sharing", which will show you a list of  networks, you
should have an option for "Local Networks" which _should_ cover all local
networks, but you may wish to get more specific with your actual interface.
Click on Done/OK as required, and in theory all should be running OK on your
Print Server.

On the machine without the printer, repeat the above procedure to ensure
remote sharing is enabled. Now choose the tab for "Configured on other
machines" and hit the refresh button and if you are lucky the shared printer
should appear.  If not, use the Add Printer button.

If Add Printer doesn't work, then there's either a problem in your CUPS
set-up, or it's just PrinterDrake being temperamental.  Try restarting CUPS
on both machines to see if that helps.

If that fails, instead of MCC try the CUPS WWW Interface
(http://localhost:631/), or Webmin if you have it installed
(https://localhost:10000/), or the KDE Control Centre
Peripherals/Printers/Add Printer option which has a nice wizard with an
option for remote CUPS, or whatever the Gnome equivalent is.

Cheers!

John.