On October 17, 2004 05:19, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a friend in Mexico who insists that I set up Yahoo chat.  She
> has strange ideas sometimes.
>
> Can someone point me to a good client and clue me in on the
> intricacies that 12yr olds don't have problems with, but I will?
>
> And which ports do I need to expose to the universe?
>
> TIA
>
> Lee

Funny you should ask. My 13yr old son insisted that he wanted yahoo messenger.
I told him kopete or gaim could do what he needed, but he insists that there
are things that yahoo does better. Yahoo does have a Linux client, but he was
unable to find a Mandrake rpm for it (and I wasn't going to expend any time
looking :^). But I had previously been explaining to him the various Linux
distros, and that Mandrake was a Red Hat derivative.

So he found a RH rpm (sorry, I don't know where, but it was
rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm, google probably knows where it is), and
asked me if it would work. I thought it would be an interesting and mostly
harmless exercise to see. So I ran it through urpmi last night, and it seemed
to install correctly.

It didn't add itself to the menu. I had to start it at the command line by
typing ymessenger. First time through, it runs a config wizard that asks
about adding it to the KDE and gnome menus and desktops, and to .xinitrc.
Attempting to add to gnome crashes it, probably because I don't have gnome
installed. The adding to KDE menu doesn't seem to work, and the adding to
desktop creates a useless desktop icon (double clicking it just brings up the
"which program should I run this with?" dialog), but at least it doesn't
crash. I just created a desktop "link to application" icon myself.

Once the wizard was done, it seemed to work fine, with no other config
changes. Of course, I'm not firewalled, other than the NAT in my router
(haven't had time, and right now a break-in to this machine would not gain
anyone anything particularly valuable).

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine. Rights to use
these opinions are granted under the GNU GPL.