On Wednesday 20 October 2004 02:24 am, Alan wrote:
| Good day all
|

| I am having a problem with my network! After about two or three hours of
| linux being up I can't speak to my linux box from another machine, or from
| another machine to my linux box.
|
| What I have noticed is that when i try and ping a box from linux it
| reports an error "connect: no buffer space available". Can anybody tell me
| what this means?
|
| Thanks
|
| Alan

Never saw that one before.  BUT, when something that works stops doing so, and
I haven't intervened in any way, the first thing I blame is msec.  Msec has
changed permissions on me so many times that I automatically disable it for a
test when stuff that "just works" quits working after an hour or so.  Go to
/usr/sbin and find "msec".  Rename it to "OLDmsec" and save the file.  If
your problem goes away, you will know it was msec changing permissions.  If
it doesn't, go back and rename your msec (you need to do this in any case, if
you want to use msec).  Msec is your first bastion of security, and if you
don't understand permissions you won't want to leave it disabled.