On Wednesday 20 Oct 2004 03:34, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 17 October 2004 11:05 am, SME Server Admin wrote:
> > Aftenoon :)
> >
> > The time has come. I am finally in a position (technically) to upgrade
> > this computer (Mandrake 10 on a P2-300mhz PC (384mb ram, 25gb Hdd, CRRW)
> > to the chassis of an AMD1300 (384mb ram, the rest transfers over).  Just
> > need a bit of guidance and advise before I continue... Please :)
>
> I always say, make sure you can boot into the old system if something goes
> wrong and then just let 'er rip.  Nothing like doing to improve the
> learning.
>
> You really should be able to put the drive in the new motherboard and boot
> it up.  Linux is really good about adjusting to new hardware.  You may have
> to tweak a few things that load out of /etc/modprobe.conf (lan cards,
> soiund cards, etc.), but most of the motherboard stuff should be recognized
> and the appropriate drivers be installed automatically.

Thanks :) Most of it has gone through OK.

When it shuts down it tries to unmount the old network card, which isn't
installed anyway, and I can't find it in the configs :(

 Normally I would be happy to leave it at that... But a machine I was going to
use for games has, er, keeled over.

Awaiting advice from here....

Tried backing up my mail directory and K3b made all the leading dots to be
underscores?! Huh?

Do I need to put anything special in to K3b to get it leave the dots in, or is
that an impossibility??

Cheers, Elwyn