On Friday 22 October 2004 10:28 am, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> Why not simply use ssh?
>
> It's very much more secure and allows you total remote control.
> With X forwarding enabled (default in MDK) and a fast connection you can
> run any app (including VNC-server) on a remote client whereas with a slow
> connection the commandline is your friend.
> I sometimes monitor and troubleshoot my home-server on a 56K gprs
> connection and my treo (palm PDA combined with GSM phone) using ssh:)

To add to that, if you start using SSH, you can set your PC aside and not even
hook up a monitor, keyboard, or mouse (most motherboards have an entry in
their BIOS to halt on all errors, halt on no errors, halt on keyboard,disk,
etc. - you'll want to set it to halt on no errors, so that the machine will
not halt the bootup process if it can't detect a keyboard, etc.). Once that's
done, you can simply plug the box into the wall and plug in a network cable
and let it rip... You can then just SSH into the box to make any kind of
modifications you need (you can even run the remote desktop from that
particular PC using XDMCP or NXServer)... On a decent network, you'll think
you were sitting at the box you're working on, and meanwhile your server is
just sitting off by itself running like a top.

--
Take care,
Randall Hobbs