Sorry if this should be an FAQ, but I have been playing with this for a week and am becoming frustrated.

I had a 40GB/80GB dual boot system, with data only on the 80GB drive.

I have just invested in a 200GB drive and would like to allocate half of each of the 80/200 dives to Linux and Windows. I have them partitioned and installed, but would now like to copy some of the stuff from the old 40GB drive (30 GB fat32, two ext3 partitions). The problem is that if I connect up the old drive, the machine wants to boot from it.

/dev/hde3 is NEW linux /root (18GB)
/dev/hde5 is NEW linux /home  (17GB)

/dev/hdf5 is NEW linux data (88GB)

/dev/hdg5 is OLD linux /root

I can boot from systemrescue CD with all three drives, but keeps wanting to boot from /hdg5. I tried copying lilo.conf from hde3 to hdg5, but of course that failed as /boot on hdg5 did not fit. I have ports and cables to run 4 IDE drives (Raid mobo), but can boot successfully only with two drives. I presume it is something in the MBR, but is there any way to overwrite this to ALWAYS boot from /hde3

Thanks for advice

Russell