List,
After getting my modem to work under L-M 6.1 (which support told me
wouldn't work), I've discovered I can't find Kppp anymore (Murphy's
Law?).  So, I'm using KWvDial in lieu.  There seems to be no way to
change the AT commands, though I changed them under Linuxconf, but when
KWv dials up my ISP it uses an init string other than the one I want.
The wierdest thing is that my modem is only detected when I'm logged in
as root.  Also, the FIND utility can't find KPPP, only KPPPLoad
(whatever that does).  Anyhoo, the installation went fairly well, and
I've gotten everything setup except for the scanner which I havn't
fooled w/ yet.  The modem took the most time, and I ended up disabling
plug n play and setting it up manually (gotta move my box somewhere more
accessible).  This is a learning experience, right?  Like I spent the
last 3 yrs fooling w/ windoze only to drop it like a hot potato. Good
thing this is my system, and everything I wiped out was mine, right?
Boy, this is fun ;)

-Josh, ATL, GA
2wk old Linux Newbie