I had a similar problem when I 1st installed Linux on a disk with windoze98
already on it.
I used Partition Magic to shrink the Windoze partition, then FDISK to make
sure nothing Dos'y was in the free space
and then installed Linux with the LILO boot loader.
All went well.
I didn't build any Linux partitions on the free area with partition magic, I
let the Mandrake install look after that by itself.
Maybe this would be a solution to your problem.

Hope it helps:

Mike