On Saturday 30 October 2004 06:14 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > If you use the nvidia binary drivers, there is two things you need to
> > know.
>
> Whilst on the subject of display drivers, could I have the benefit of your
> experience and educated guess?  I want to try the ATi drivers, but see that
> on the CE disk (I still haven't completed the OE download) it says that it
> has drivers for the -10 kernel, whereas I'm running the -12 kernel.  How
> likely is it that they would work?

They work the same way the nvidia binary drivers do, in that they must be
matched to the kernel.  I think the Club Downloads should have the ATI
drivers for every "officially" released Mandrake kernel, so -12mdk should be
available.  If you don't have CLub access, then you might try installing the
drivers using ATI's proprietary installer.

I don't have a lot of experience with the ATI drivers, because the one machine
I own with an ATI card works satisfactorily with dri since XFree 4.3 and any
time I tried the ATI binary drivers the machine became unstable.  Using CAE's
xorg packages for 10.0, everything works nicely, so I decided to leave well
enough alone.

Every other machine I administer either has an nvidia graphics card, or some
other older low-end card that makes high-performance video a non-issue.  Most
of those boxes run headless as a server anyway.
--
/g