On Sunday 31 Oct 2004 07:17, John Layt wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:10, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I don't think you will get
> > it to work under wine - I looked into that a couple of years ago, and it
> > was said that it was well-nigh impossible.
>
> Hmmm.  When I worked for IBM in about 2002 there was an internal version of
> Wine that supposedly supported SmartSuite, Notes, and other IBM/Lotus apps
> that was getting passed around internally for evaluation purposes.  I can
> only assume it was never deemed fit enough for external release :-(  It's
> certainly do-able, but I just don't think the demand is there.
>
> Heh, hope I haven't just breached that NDA...

In that case, it's scream-worthy.  I run win4lin for just three purposes - the
most important one is to exchange documents with my daughter, who has her
thesis in wordpro format.

Apart from that, the other two are big conveniences that I can't find in any
linux package.  One is PagePlus's ability to print an A5 booklet on A4 paper,
properly sorted, with pages 1 and 24 on one side and 2 and 23 on the other.
If scribus had that I could dispense with this one.  I find it hard to
believe that no-one needs that facility.

The other one is a photo-printing app that quickly allows me to print 4 to a
page, guaranteeing that the pics come out the same size.  I can do it with
KWord, but hand-drawing boxes is not reliable, and also it is sometimes
necessary to slightly crop to make the format of the pic fit.  This may be
replaceable in linux, but I haven't found it yet.

Sorry to be OT, but I think it helps from time to time for us to air our
needs.  Sometimes others have a solution.  Sometimes the idea gets picked up
by a developer.

Meanwhile, I hope Simon gets what he needs, and I'll help all I can.  I never
saw the need for that other behemoth of an office suite, and loved SmartSuite
myself.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302