On Sunday 31 October 2004 01:34 pm, Bill Winegarden wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm running LM10 Community on an Inspiron 9100. A fresh install
> is working 98%. However, the cdrom does not seem to want to let
> go of any cdrom once I view it's contents in Konq.
> As root, I get the error....

   Does 'eject /dev/hdc' get the CD out?

> umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy

   This is the problem

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0
> 0 /dev/hda2 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
> /dev/hda7 /mnt/win_d vfat
> umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0 none /proc proc
> defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> Does anything seem out of place?
>
> tia,
> Bill W.

    Did you try exiting from all konqueror instances first?

   You're _not_ using supermount.  'auto' in your fstab for this
device means auto file system detection, not auto mount.
Somethin is holding on to the device. Run 'lsof /mnt/cdrom' to
find out. (You might have to 'urpmi lsof' first).  If lsof just
returns to a prompt, nothin is using /mnt/cdrom at that time.

    FWIW, I don't remember when 'magicdev' began, or whether 10.0
used it.  See if '/usr/bin/magicdev' is present by running
 'which magicdev'.  I've had some intermittent problems with CD
drives being 'busy', usually after somethin like ripping a DVD
with dvd:rip. 'fam' (an xinitd process) is most often the
culprit. Since it's not a separate service, you'll need to kill
it's pid. It will still run again 'on request'.

    I hate to say it, but sometimes only a reboot will free the CD
drive. Magic device in 10.1 is better, but still has occasional
glitches like yours.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American