On Monday 01 November 2004 07:59 pm, Tom & Karen Pino wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am going to start building a computer for linux.  I have an old tower
> that I think will work (it may be too awkward).
>
> I would like some recommendations on components.  Chipset?  Sound card?
> Video card?  Modem (dial up is what I need in this remote area)?
>
> Anything anyone can think of that would be helpful would be great.  I
> want to make this as easy as I can on myself.  Will probably get stuff
> on e-bay and anywhere else that I can find it cheap but want a machine
> that will not have problems with linux.
>
> Peripherals can wait.
> Thanx in advance,
> Tom
Welcome to the world
You will need a Pentium class processor at least 200 mhz
as to how much disk space 12 to 20 Gb should do fine
You will need to either download mandrake (long job even with dsl or you can
get the CDs from cheapbytes
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
for a *very* Nominal price mostly you will have to put up with us ;-)

--
Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?