Since I installed Mandrake 10.1 Community, I can no longer su to root on the
Desktop. I still can in a virtual terminal.

I thought this had to do with PAM, so I added my user to the wheel-group,
but to no relief.

~ $ cat /etc/pam.d/su
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
# Uncomment the following line to implicitly trust users in the "wheel"
group.
#auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
# Uncomment the following line to require a user to be in the "wheel" group.
#auth       required    /lib/security/pam_wheel.so use_uid
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_xauth.so

If I uncomment this line
#auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
then the user doing su immediately gets "Incorrect password".

uncommenting this line doesn't make any difference
#auth       required    /lib/security/pam_wheel.so use_uid
"Incorrect password" with both

I thought these lines were commented out by default, so I didn't had to put
the user in the wheel group in the first place.

Then what is the solution?