Stephen Kühn wrote:

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 15:33, cervixcouch wrote:

I went into /etc/inittab and changed the runlevel to 3.  Now when I boot
up, the non-graphical login prompt appears and the upper 8/10ths of the
screen is black, but the bottom portion has the blue background that
appears during runlevel 5 startup and I can see the word "Mandraklinux"
with a star next to it, as well as the last line displayed in the boot
process that says, "Starting kheader:  OK".

This is odd, because I've done this before in MDK9.2 and this never
happened.  I'm using 10.1 now and don't know what the problem is.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

I would tend to think that you still have either a theme-able console
login or the theme is taking over - you can disable that in MCC => Boot

Tried that. Didn't do me a lick of good. When I rebooted, the options "display theme under console" and "use graphical boot" were reenabled.

I did notice that I got an error message about rxvt not being able to display UTF-8. I have Icewm set as the default desktop in /etc/sysconfig/desktop and have rxvt set as the terminal application in the toolbar, so I went to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icewm and changed the entry from rxvt to konsole.

For whatever reason, this worked. I don't see why it would, or why Linux would care what terminal I have in the toolbar.