Carroll Grigsby wrote:

On Monday 01 November 2004 10:40 pm, Tom & Karen Pino wrote:

snip

Ok, so I use windoze (although I can't see why one would us IE). Why do you want to appear to use IE at all and 5 in particular?
Tom

Tom:
The usual reason is that there are many websites which use the browser id string to determine if you are using IE or not; if you aren't, you are denied access. There are also others which restrict access to either IE or Netscape. Now, if you are 100 per cent linux, you are left with three choices: Lie to them, go somewhere else, or install Windows. Well, it turns out that the first choice is often quite effective because many other browsers can access many of those sites with no problems at all. Now -- who's the bigger liar here? Me, or the MS guy who convinced the website admin that he would have all sorts of problems if he allowed non-MS browsers to access his website? Banks, in particular, are among the worst offenders in this regard (but there are lots of other sites guilty of the same stupidity). Not to be all doom-and-gloom, I saw a report on the web within the past few days that there is a growing trend in the Windows community to move away from the crap MS browsers to Firefox and Mozilla. Perhaps that will force some of those dullhead webmins to rethink their stance.

-- cmg

I have no problem with lying to sites like that at all. I was just baffled by someone wanting to have people think the were using IE.

I have used Netscape from the beginning on this machine. I found that if I updated (late 98 thru 2000) Win98, Netscape was screwed every time. IE is a crappy browser. MS is out to control the net.

I have no personal need to go to sites that insist on IE so I don't. I find this solution very interesting. Thank you for explaining.
Have fun,
Tom