Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying figure out what my issue with connecting to my linux machine via vnc over ssh.

I had no problem connecting to my machine via ssh but my window manager got all screwed up.

It was grey and black just as is was before I specified the session I wanted to displayed.

Is there an extra entry I need to make in my xstartup script for vnc to work via ssh?

I was told that when connecting via vnc is manages to start anther x11 session but I don't know how valid that statement iss since it seems to work without using ssh.

Any help is appreciated..

Correct. When you start "vncserver :nn", you're starting another desktop environment like kde. Then, you're logging into that. Unlike Windows, you're not going into the current desktop. You *could* go into your current desktop if you run K->Internet->RemoteAccess->VirtualDesktopConnection. Then choose "Allow Control of My Machine", enter a password to control your desktop. This way of controlling your current desktop if inefficient; it takes a while to render on your vnc client. So when you're saying to connect to vnc via ssh, are you wanting to use ssh tunneling?

Sevatio