> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 02:24, Eric Scott wrote:
> > Yo; does anybody know where I can download Mandrake 10.1 PPC via http
> > instead of FTP?  On the FTP mirrors I'm getting an average of about
> > 9KB/s. That just won't do when download 2100MB of data.  My satellite
> > broadband has roughly a 600k down/4k up connection... .Yes, I said four
> > up, not forty.  I don't know if this would slow down an FTP connection,
> > it doesn't make sense to me, but the point is it's download really really
> > slow. Anyway, I'd like to try http or something instead of ftp, and
> > helpers?

What Sat service are you using? If it is directway, they have a thing called
FAP that limits you to about 150 MB down load at full speed and then slows to
a crawl. Most other sats have similar policies. I put up with this for years
until I got DSL. If this is the case, the least frustrating solution is to
order a se of disks from cheap bites or some other site that will ship them
for a minimal charge. Check the fine print at your providers site or give
them a call.

Pat