Eric Scott wrote:
Yo;
I've got a Mandrake 9.2 box that I use as a web server. On my SuSE box at home I leave KDE system guard open 24/7 connected to the server via ssh, all that fun stuff. I've noticed that as the server is on for long periods of time, the ammount of free memory goes down, at roughly 3MB/hour. What would be filling it up? I wouldn't give it much though, 'cept this is a server, and at this rate two days of up time and I'm spilling over into SWAP, which would slow it down too much for my liking.
Any help? Thanx,
SigmaChi

Dumb question - how are you determining the amound of free memory? If you are going by the first line of the free command, then you probably do not have anything to worry about. A Linux machine will use up just about all of the free memory for buffers and disk cache. It will release this memory when needed by programs. This is normal. It is also normaly for Linux to swap out waiting programs during high memory demand, and leave them swapped out untill they are needed again. So you can have swap spaced used, even though there is plenty of memory that could be used to run programs. Look at the second line of the free command to determine if you are running out of memory. The number under the free column is how much memory you have free for running programs.

Remember, "free" memory is wasted memory. Linux likes to use all fo the memory in the system to make things run faster...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!