On Wednesday 10 November 2004 04:14 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I'm running 10.0, having recently upgraded from 9.0. I'm trying to get
| my USB card reader to work, and I went to the Apacer site and they say
| to edit my modules.conf file. But when I try to save the edited file it
| complains I don't have permission.
|
| So I'm guessing I need to be root to do it; but now that I'm on 10.0 I
| can't log in as root any more. It only gives me two choices [the two
| usernames I set up] at login time. In 9.0 I could just type in "root" in
| the login field and the password; it would warn me something about
| running graphics as root [can't remember exactly] but it would let me in
| anyhow. But now I can't - there's nowhere to type!
|
| I can open a text window and "SU", but then edit modules.conf only gives
| me:
| bash: edit: command not found
|
| help???

Open a Terminal and type "kdesu konqueror" without the quotes.  Or, in the KDE
control center under System>Login Manager>Users there is a check box for
Hidden Users (root is checked by default).  You can uncheck it (you have to
click on an Administrator Mode box and type your password to do it).  I
recommend the first method for both convenience and security.