Aron Smith wrote:

I have aquired a Compaq laptop Armada 7400 unfortunely it does not have cdrom drive any way i can get mandrake on this puppy I'd really like to do it 'cause the price was right (free)

My Son in Law and I fiddled around with an old IBM thinkpad whose rom was broken.

In the end we took it apart and managed to hook up another tempary rom drive to do the job.
It worked for us, but of course the temporaty drive didn't fit the thinkpad,
so we had to put the old one back after we had installed the OS.

Maybe you could extend the ide line another device in much the same way ?

John