On Sunday 21 November 2004 05:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 14:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Ok, apologies for pressing send on my email program too soon (see
> > > their ideas.
> > >
> > > The problem is now solved (wait, there is the next problem). I followed
> > > the strategy of disabling services and re-enabling them. Now I found
> > > the offending service (or one causing this behavior). That is the good
> > > news. The bad news is that it is DEVFSD.
> > >
> > > Ok, I am an end-user, I am trying to use my Linux box purely as my
> > > desktop. Reading the "man" on devfsd left me very confused. Could I
> > > just leave devfsd
> >
> > off
> >
> > > (sounds like not so good idea). Or should I do something about it to
> > > get to
> >
> > the
> >
> > > bottom of it? Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > Saku
> >
> > I find it strange that THAT would be the offending party in this saga;
> > you could, however, turn the service off and see if it directly affects
> > anything that you do as a "desktop" user - as well - being that this is
> > merely a client machine (or desktop) are there any other services
> > running that you might not need?
>
> I found the following (so someone else had the same problem, with 10.1
> Community):
> http://quanta.homeip.net/pipermail/linuxr3000/2004-November/000745.html
>
> I did what he did, installed udev (not sure that I need either one of them)
> and run that at startup. Everything seems to be working ok. So in case of
> if anyone is interested the list of services that I run at startup is:
> alsa, atd, crond, cups, hotplug, keytable, kheader, network, ntpd, numlock,
> partmon, postfix, rawdevices, shorewall, sound, sshd, syslog, udev, xfsd
> and xinetd (this according to drakconf). I think I need all of them: I have
> my uses for sshd and postfix. I am not sure that I need rawdevices, but I
> can live without finding that out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Saku

Yes you will need udev. Its the replacement for devfsd which is now
deprecated. Not sure why devfsd should give you this problem though.

May I also suggest you install anacron if this is a desktop machine.
Anacron will keep your logs rotated and other general maintenance performed.
Normally cron does that job, but cannot if you switch off overnight.
(Do not uninstall cron you still need it)

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org