On Sunday 21 November 2004 11:33, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Sunday 21 November 2004 11:48 am, JoeHill wrote:
> > > besides, that only means that I have to learn X ALL OVER AGAIN - and
> > > install new NVidia drivers...dang dang dang dang dang...
> >
> > The only new things you are likely to have to learn is how to enjoy all
> > the whoop-ass new features, matey. It'll be like havin' a free Mac, 'cept
> > you can change just more than how the GUI *looks*.
>
> I read this:
> Earlier this year, a license change in the defacto X project, XFree86,
> forced developers to look elsewhere for graphical support.
>
> Anybody knows what it means? What license change?
>
> Have you read this? In Singapore Steve Ballmer threathened Asian goverment
> officials of using Linux.
> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/news/38302.html
>
> Is this the sign of last-gasp effort from MS or is there some truths behind
> it? What do you think?

(I hope I get this right, or else I'll be flamed to pieces)

XFree.org changed the license to introduce an "acknowlegement clause" so
distros would have to visibly point out code came from XFree.org  While it is
understandable that people want to be recognised for their work the
introduction of the clause makes XFree86 incompatible with the GPL which
requires that NO conditions may be placed on anyone receiving the code. While
some disagree, many distros including Mandrake decided they could no longer
include XFree86 in the distro. Hence Xorg. Its a good thing too. The XFree
project leaders have been accused in the past of slowing the development of X
by keeping too tight control over the project.

As for Ballmers claims they are nonsense OSDL did a study which showed there
were 283 patents awarded which 'might' apply to Linux, and there was NOT ONE
patent which had been tested in court which covered Linux. NOT ONE opensource
project has ever been sued for patent infringement. Compare that with
MicroSoft which has been successfully sued many times.
Read this http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1730268,00.asp  for the
response of the author of the report.

derek

--