On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:26 am, J wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run 10CE on my machine, for one or two reasons, and recently I suffered a
> HDD failure, and had to do a complete reinstall onto a new HDD.
>
> I had to download a new ISO set, as one of my CD's was damaged, and would
> no longer be seen by my CD ROM drive.
>
> Trouble is, The ISO is corrupt for the 1st install CD, and it has some
> pretty vital packages missing, such as Perl, Drakxtools & Pango to name a
> few, and KDE is all but inoperative too.
>
> I have managed to get the machine onto the net, and can get it to boot into
> ICEWM, but all my GUI configuration tools are missing (rpmdrake etc).
>
> Is there any way I can URPMI stuff whilst working in console? I have
> managed to "urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp. etc etc", so the source is set,
> but what next? I really want to download every single update, to try and
> get it up and running again.....
>
> Is there a way to urpmi every single package in the ftp directory, without
> having to enter each individual package name?. I tried to "urpmi kde*
> libkde*" but nothing happened, I got a no such file error... I'm assuming I
> am doing something wrong!
>
> Can anybody offer some advice? using windows XP is doing my head in, and I
> want to get back to linux!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> James

First you will want to define an updates source as well as the main so you get
the fixed versions.  Then just urpmi specific package names such as
kdebase-common.  This will result in all the dependant packages being
selected.  You can't use wild cards.

urpmi --auto-select

might be a good first step.  That will get you all the missing and updated
packages for what you do have installed.

HTH
Brian