On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:40:49 +0100
H.J.Bathoorn disseminated the following:

> > If any distro is likely to 'scare' a newbie, I'd wager it's Slackware or
> > Gentoo, certainly not Debian.
>
> Now you've done it!!!!
> You just touched my first (linux) love; Slackware. I'll beat the daylights out
> of you given half the chance;)

It's a long lineup, and someone's started charging a fee... ;-)

> Hahh, I've even still got the huge Walnut Creek "Linux The Advanced Reference"
>
> book (or is it bible?) right up front in my bookcase. All the Howto's in dead
> tree format...just love the feel of it:)
>
> Slack was my first encounter witj linux that actually stuck (Mdk and Suse
> certainly NOT, at the time)......Check out slack-live or slax: live distro's
> that'll run on anything 386_up. If knoppix or whatever won't run on it, slack
> or slax will! OpenOffice included at all;)

Believe me, I have absolutely nothing against Slack, I only meant to contrast it
with Debian as being 'scary' for newbs. However, that too seems to be out the
window...so there are flavours of Slack with package management now? If so,
that's sweeeeeet.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org