J or M Montgomery wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:24:15 -0600 (CST)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Thank you Mikkel,
One more question please.

You can share /home, /boot, and swap between the two, as long as /boot is
large enough for all the kernel versions you are using, along with the
inital RAM disk inages. (It is handy that 9.2 and 10.0 are running
different versions of the kernel.)

I assume that I can't share /.  How do I get a root partition for the 10.0
version?

That is correct. The new installation will create its own / partition. It will then install its versions of the programs and libraries in /bin, /sbin, /lib, /usr/bin, etc. There are some other directories you could share, but it probably isn't worth the work required. You can also run into some strange problems if you try and share the wrong ones.

One thing you may want to do after you have 10.0 installed is to add entries in /etc/fstab for the other / file system. What I mean is, in 9.2 add a /mnt/10.0 directory, and ether when you install 10.0, or later, add /mnt/9.2. This gives you an easy way to edit config files, or check log files on one version when running the other. Sort of like having your own built-in rescue disk.

Mikkel