Hello Graham

Anyhow, what I want to know is what is the best way to recover data from a hard
drive that is about to fail, but contains part of my Mandrake installation (usr
& home) when I get a new box up and running.  Can I install it as a slave disk
an access it through a new Mandrake installation or perhaps a live CD distribution?
Or are there other ways?

I realise this isn't exactly a Mandrake specific topic but there is more concentrated computer wisdom here than any other place I know so I hope you can steer me right.

The method that you mention is perhaps the safest, ie. install it as a slave disk, etc. I have done that sort of thing many times. As long as you are methodical and logical, you should be OK. I have done this with Redhat 5.2, SCO OpenServer, SCO UNIX 4.2, MS-Dog, and various versions of Mandrake from version 7.1 up. Most recently I did it with Mandrake 10.1beta2. It is a good way of upgrading your system as well as a way of recovering data from an ailing drive.

Once you have installed your new drive, simply run drakconf (diskdrake) and set up the mount points and off you go!

regards
Duncan