Hi,

I have a mandrake 9.1 installed, and currently the system is
configured that authentication happens against the /etc/passwd file on
the local system.

My linux pc is partly used as a fileserver for a couple windows XP &
2K boxes that are in a WORKGROUP, no NT Domain. On all computers, the
same accounts exist with the same passwords... however, if I put a
file on the public drive on the linux, I always get the owner
nobody:nobody on the linux system.

Could anybody please give me a couple hints how I can convert the
authentication that when I access a share with user1/password1, the
linux system will recognize the user1/password1 ?
Currently, even if I try to access \\linux\user1, mapping the drive
with user1/password1, the linux system won't accept my login.

Thanks in advance.
Jan