Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>On my 40 Gigabyte hard disk I used to have two partitions:
>>one (30 GB) containig Windows 98 and the other (10 GB) with Linux Mandrake
>>9.1.
>>Now I created a third partition with another 10 GB token off Windows,
>>and in it I installed successfully Mandrake Community 10.1.
>>When I boot the system I can only enter Mandrake 10.1.
>>How to access my dear old 9.1?
>

>>From within the new partition I did the following procedure
> (x is the old partition device number):
>
> 1) # mkdir /mnt/linux2
>
> 2) # mount /dev/hdax /mnt/linux2
>
> 3) In the file /mnt/linux2/etc/lilo.conf I changed the line
>        boot=/dev/hda
>    into
>        boot=/dev/hdax
>
> 4) I got into linux2 root:
>    # chroot /mnt/linux2 /bin/bash
>
> 5) , and there
>    # lilo -v
>
> 6) I got back to the new partition root, and at the end of the file
>    /etc/fstab I added the line
>        /dev/hdax /mnt/linux2 ext3 defaults 1 2
>    ; then at the end of the file /etc/lilo.conf I added the following:
>        image=/mnt/linux2/boot/vmlinuz
>                label="linux2"
>                root=/dev/hdax
>                initrd=/mnt/linux2/boot/initrd.img
>                append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hday splash=no"
>                vga=788
>                read-only
>    , where 'y' in hday should be the swap partition device number.
>
> 7) # lilo -v -t
>
> 8) # lilo
>
> Everything seems to have gone well,
> now when booting I can choose if going into linux or linux2,
> and the new partition has not modified the old one,
> except for one thing:
> in the old partition I have to reinstall the modem,
> i.e. rerun the modem driver.
> Why? Does anybody know?
> Is the above procedure correct?
> Maybe a bug in Mdk 10.1 Community (the new partition OS)?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

Originally before you installed 10.1, you had win98 and mandrake9.1
then you made a new installation in the free space of win98.

When you did that you changed the partition table of the drive.
So you need to find out which partition is what to start with.

If you did default installs with /,swap,and /home

win98        hda1
10.1 /       hda?
swap         hda?
10.1 /home   hda?
9.1  /       hda?
swap         hda?
9.1  /home   hda?

Or how ever you partitioned it

10.1 was the last one you installed so its fstab would reflect its
partitons correctly. The 9.1 fstab will have to be corrected to
reflect the new partitions as Mikkel mentioned in his post.

Not sure about the modem driver issue but I would make sure the
basics are in order first.

Mike