On Thursday 02 December 2004 01:33, Amy wrote:

<snip>
> I remember there was a thread where
> one of the members of our list was struggling with a windows
> computer for something school related for his daughter. In the
> process of the discussion, someone mentioned a site that one
> could download all the windows updates from one spot (SP2 not
> included, I hope) so I could download it on my mandrake box, and
> burn it to CD so I don't have to plug my dad's computer into the
> Internet until I've got updates, firewall/s, anti-virus program/s
> and Spyware Removal tool/s installed and all the extra dren from
> HP that's not needed removed.
</snip>

That caring father was me....

I got gazillions of good advice from this very list, re-installed
WindowsXP on her disconnected box, downloaded AVG antivirus, Spybot
Search&Destroy, ClamAV, AdwareSpy and whatnot via my linux box,
burned the whole kaboodle onto CD and installed it on her - still
disconnected - box.

Then we connected to the internet and downloaded something called
ServicePack 2 from WindowsUpdate. Within two hours her Windows box
was severely infected anew...... Go figure.

Now, my daughter uses her Windows box completely disconnected from
everything.  When she wants something from the net, she uses her
account on my Mandrake box and transport it via floppy or CD to her
box. (Maybe a USB memory stick could come in handy here ?)

Conclusion : unless you want to :
1. expose your father like being naked in a public place....
2. make him known as a Netterrorist......
keep his Windows box completely insulated from everything, except
maybe the power outlet - although I'm not sure about that either.

Kaj Haulrich.