On Thursday 02 December 2004 11:11, amalasingh wrote:
> I set it as LAN connection. It was asking
> me to configure IP and subnet mask.
>
> I entered 10.0.0.2 and subnet mask
> 255.255.255.0
>

> http://10.0.0.2  works. But unfortunately the
> browser brings my local host instead of the
> admin webpage from the router. I dont
> know why.
>
> By setting an Automatic configuration,
> it says £Connection refused for 10.0.0.2."
> But it does not give the same error message
> for some dummy IP addresses.
>

> I also went to console and entered
> /sbin/dhclient
>
> one of the error messages was sit0 not
> configured.
>
> Thanks
> Amala Singh

10.0.0.2 is the address of the router. You must not use the same address
yourself.  That is why your browser is connecting to localhost.

 If you set an address manually then use a different address such as
10.0.0.20  (It must not be the same as any other computer on your network)

If you set a manual IP address, then you must also set the gateway address.
The gateway address is the address of the device with access to the internet.
That is your router, so your gateway is 10.0.0.2
Finally you must declare the address of your DNS server which maps web names
to IP addresses. That is defined in MandrakeControlCentre>Network>Internet
access.  Your router may be acting as a DNS proxy so you could try putting
10.0.0.2 in there, or else go to your ISPs support pages and find the address
of their DNS server.

But it should work when you use DHCP. I asked you yesterday if you got an IP
address when you used DHCP?
Do you get an IP address?

If you do then what happens if you open a terminal and type
ping 68.142.226.32
Do you get a response?  (Ctl+C) to stop it)

and what happens if you do
ping www.yahoo.com   ?

derek

--