On Friday 03 December 2004 05:44 am, Todd Slater wrote:
| On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 04:12:39AM -0800, Tango Echo wrote:
| > Anyone?? Or is this rocket science?
|
| I've never used Spamassassin but I've heard that it can be a resource
| hog.
Hmmmm--maybe, but I haven't had any problems with it.  After a rather
extensive learning period it becomes extremely efficient.
| How much do you need it to do--virus filtering etc.? If you just
| need a bayesian-type filter bogofilter is a good alternative. I'm pretty
| sure SA requires you to have procmail set up and working; bogofilter can
| work when called directly from an MUA but I prefer to use procmail with
| it as well.

Not true.  I do not have procmail setup.  I'm filtering KMail directly with a
"pipe through spamc".
I haven't used bogofilter so I'm really neutral as to which is better.  My
hunch is that both are excellent.  I began with SA because of the available
rules and have stuck with it because it works.

| In any event, I don't think it's hard to set up SA. Have you read the
| README and INSTALL files?
|
| Todd

I haven't used Tbird, so I'm no help here.  There are several places to go for
SA setup, if you decide that is the filter you want to use, and hopefully,
you can find something about running SA with Tbird.  For rules, I would
recommend that you peruse this site:

http://www.rulesemporium.com/