Hi, I'm a complete newbie to Linux and have just installed 10.1 official.

Everything installed OK including the Sagem Fast 800 usb modem, but although I
can connect to the internet it is intermittent

The symptoms are as follows

On boot the modem connects OK and both lights are green

After downloading about 4 KB the internet connection is lost although
both modem lights are still green and the web page fails to complete

I go into /etc/eagle-usb and try STARTADSL and linux tells me that ADSL is
already connected.
So I try to download a web page again and it still fails

OK, so I try again eagle-usb STOPADSL then STARTADSL and the connection now
works and I can download a few more KB until I lose the connection again

It appears to me as a complete newbie that although the interface between the
modem and the phone line is always OK as both modem lights stay on, the
interface between the PC and the modem has a problem

I'm using a 700MHz PC with 256Mb ram and the same modem is rock solid when I'm
using WIN2K

Help please
Bob