Go here http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0292 for nForce 2 driver

J.T.

From: Ayn Newin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Sound Driver Error
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:22:31 -0500

I've just install Mandrake 10.1 and i've been receiving an error message saying there is a problem with my sound card/driver. I've seen this error message twice, once when trying to start KsCD application and once when starting linux. I've not been able to make the error reappear and have not seen it appear at any other time.

From memory the error simply states there is a problem with my sound card/driver, and that the directory /dev/dsp cannot be found. I've tried creating this folder within /dev and it says access is denied. Also, when trying to start Audacity i am prompted with the error message:

        There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
        You will not be able to play or record audio.
        Error:  Host error

Obviously i cannot hear music CDs, or any sounds for that matter, and cannot begin to realize what the problem is. That's where you come in.

For reference my sound card is described as nForce2 Audio Codec Interface in HardDrake, with the driver listed as snd-intel8x0.

~ Ayn