On Tuesday 21 December 2004 11:14, Al Yaemes wrote:

> I have to setup a Win XP box.
Famous last words.

> I think I remember somebody on this list saying something about what
> services should be shut down
> and which software firewall / antivirus / anti spyware should be installed
> prior to allowing said box access to the internet. But I can't find it in
> the archives.

Autopatcher XP allows you to download all security patches and updates for
WinXP and install them via CD before you connect to the Net which is a VERY
GOOD THING.  I would look into it.  And would definitely leave the ethernet
cable totally unplugged until I had all the patches and items below installed
via CD.

http://www.autopatcher.com/

Adaware,

Spybot Search & Destroy,
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/

I would get both at a minimum.

AvG antivirus free edition  http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
I personally like this one because the updates are frequent but not obtrusive
and they update the virus engine but do it more rarely.  That makes it easier
to maintain on a slow dialup connection.  Some of the others are good but
frequent engine updates make them bothersome if you are on  a dialup
connection.

Kerio Personal Firewall is free for personal use, I would definitely replace
the default firewall in XP SP2 with Kerio.

Consider routing through a Linux device or buying a standalone router device
for Internet connection.  It provides an additional layer and NAT is a good
thing to have for any Window Box.  Don't turn on File and printer sharing if
you have a direct net connection.  If you have a Linux box, route printing
and file sharing through that box with a fat32 partition.

Some other great tools, Ccleaner is a freeware tool that does a great job of
cleaning up erroneous registry entries.  Spybot Search&Destroy has an
innoculation routine, run it before connecting to the net.

If you absolutely must run p2p software, check out:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1
for the Blocklist Manager.  Practice safe p2p.

I will probably remember some other stuff later but this is a minimum off the
top of my head.

--
Bryan Phinney